Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: The Indigo Spell

Author: Richelle Mead
Format: e-book
Print Length: 432 pages
Publisher: Razorbill
Published: Feb. 12, 2013 

In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next.


Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, the Bloodlines series explores all the friendship, romance, battles, and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive—this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone’s out for blood. 

My Thoughts 


The ending of The Golden Lily broke my heart. I wanted so badly to shake Sydney and ask her how she could be so stupid. The Indigo Spell picks up a few weeks after The Golden Lily ends. On the eve of Syndey and Adrian flying out to a vampire wedding. One where Sydney’s boss, Stanton will also be attending. (The Alchemist were invited to help improve relations between them and the Moroi.) Ms. Terwilliger has Sydney cast a spell where it is determined that she will be in mortal danger. Her and all of the other wild magical beings out in the Palm Spring area. Ms. Terwilliger gives Sydney some reading material and off she goes to the wedding. 

Oh the wedding, it was beautiful. Even more beautiful, in front of everyone Adrian asked Sydney to dance. Since, the Alchemist are there to improve relations with the Moroi she has to say yes. Go Adrian! Everyone who saw them, commented on how great they were together- umm Sydney- here’s your sign. I absolutely adore Adrian in this installment. He knows that Sydney is against them being together. He knows that the odds are impossible. He tries to give her the space she needs. But above all else: he protects her, trusts her and adores her. 

Syndey is a little slow on the uptake when it comes to Adrian and their relationship. I blame this on her being homeschooled and not dating a lot. But towards the end when she breaks both of their hearts to follow Marcus I wanted to scream at her again. Darn, seriously for someone so smart, with the matters of the heart she is stupid. 

Speaking of Marcus- I hated him and liked him at the same time. Hated him because he stood in the way of Adrian on many occasions, liked him because he helped Sydney see that the Alchemist were not all they were cracked up to be. Have we seen the end of him? I don’t think so- but does that mean he will stand in the way of things from now own. My money is on no. 

So why the 4 stars instead of 5? To be honest, I was not feeling the action part of the book so much. The sense of urgency that I should have felt the with the evil witch draining the younger wilder witches was not there for me- at least not until the last two chapters. The focus was so much on the feelings that there was not heart pounding, nail biting moments for me. Which I had come to anticipate from the series. Was the book good? Heck yes! Did I read it in one sitting? Yes! Did it blow my mind like the last two? Ummm…no. And that my dear readers makes me sad. 

Now what did blow my mind was the way in which the book ends. How the heck is Adrian going to get around the newest complications? Plus, I really hate the character that shows up in the end. I find her a spoiled brat. One who needs to grow-up. I seriously hope she does not ruin things for Sydney, but I am guessing that she will be the cause of Sydney being sent to a re-education center. (This is just my theory, in no way has the author hinted towards this.) 

My Rating 4 stars out of 5 stars 


Favorite Quote “I’ll just love you whether you want me to or not.” 


Other Characters 

Eddie- Jill’s guardian, dates Angeline 
Jill- still spirit bound to Adrian, still in hiding, still has feelings for Eddie 
Angeline- from the Keeper clan, dates Eddie 
Ms. Terwilliger- Sydney’s teacher, also her magical mentor

1 comment:

  1. I loved this one so much. It was my favorite out of the series so far because of Adrian and Sydney. Great review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete