Monday, September 26, 2016

Review: The Distance Between Us

Author Kasie West
Format e-book
Print Length 312 pages
Publisher Harper Teen
Published July 2, 2013

Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.

My Opinion


I have read three Kasie West's books back to back. I enjoyed all of them, although this was my least favorite. It probably was due to reading the other two right before this one though.

Caymen is an only child to a single momma, who happens to own a doll shop. Xander is a Richie Rich kinda guy who is sent on an errand for his momma. Caymen catches his eye and he tries to catch hers. While he does catch her eye, she protect her heart as she knows that rich guys don’t stick around. 

Caymen is a character that I really liked. She is snarky, with an extra side of sarcasm. She is realistic about the differences between those with and those without. She has a good relationship with her momma, although Xander does put a strain on it. She has a good head on her shoulders and values school, yet not as much as family.

Xander is the reason for the three stars. I was really into him for the first 100 pages and then he just stopped being so awesome and became ordinary.  (I blame Braden.)  He was just okay for me, I wanted to like him as much as I did the last two male leads (not giving spoilers as one of the last books was PS I Like You, which has a mystery guy) yet I just didn’t. I am not sure if it was because he glosses over the differences between them when Caymen faces it head on. Or if it is because it took knowing Caymen to understand that burning a shirt is not worthy of getting fired. He is sweet, and does seem to care about Caymen just not so sure he is stick around material.

The Distance between Us is a cute read and you will not regret reading it. There are a lot of sweet moments between the two main characters. Their misunderstandings are always with communication and they both face that up front instead of hiding behind it, which was refreshing. While the female lead was right up my alley, the male lead seems too good to be true.

My Rating 3 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “You two are the most in-love not-dating people I’ve met.”


Other People

Skye- Caymen’s bestie
Henry- Skye’s boyfriend
Mason- Henry’s friend

1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to read West's work. I actually have Pivot Point on my shelf now waiting for me but it's been sitting there for a month as I'm too busy at the moment. Not enough time **sigh** Hope I get to read her soon though.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete