Monday, May 6, 2019

Review: Broken Wings



Author Jaymin Eve, Tate James
Format e-book 
Print Length 325 pages 
Publisher Self 
Published March 18, 2019 


They rule my new town, my school, and with more money than God, there’s very little out of their reach.

Four gorgeous, perfect, scary boys. There used to be five, but one of them died, leaving a fifth position that I now fill. 

I didn't ask for this. I didn't want to be part of this billionaire-boys-club. But no one cares about what I want.

Sebastian Beckett is the worst of them. Their leader. He draws me in, and strips me of every defense I have. He calls me Butterfly, but it's not a pet name, it's a threat. Beck wants nothing more than to break my wings, pin me to a board and watch me writhe.

He wants to see me broken. Body, heart and soul.

And what these elite want, they get.

Only they've never met Riley Jameson.

Let the battle begin. 



My Opinion 


Being the second child to one of the ruling families of Delta, the Deboise. Riley was tossed aside. Mainly because of her momma being mad that her birth plan did not go the way she wanted. So, Catherine put her up for adoption and went on to raise Oscar, her son. When Oscar dies, she has to bring Riley back to the family fold. Good thing her adopted parents mysteriously die in a car accident soon after Oscar’s death. Catherine, does like her power and will do anything to keep the power she gains from it. Riley comes to live with Catherine and her birth father (he seems like an okay guy). Her adoptive parents may have been lower middle class but she was loved very much, her biological parents are rich but with little emotions. 

The five ruling families rule a lot economically and the stakes are high. Riley is the only female heir, and the four male heirs are not liking her right now. They were close to Oscar and feel some resentment towards her. Which is weird since three of them have a spare to their own self as the heir. They are actually pretty mean to Riley, until they are in a plane crash, where the enemy is coming at them at all sides. Afterwards, they start to protect her fiercely. The only they can’t protect her from is Delta. 

Riley has been through a lot. Her parents dying, the accident leaving her broken, being taken from the only life she knows. She keeps her spirits though. Which in her case is a task that was very difficult. Her new momma would have sent me for the hills, yet she has grit cause she stuck with her new norm. 

There is a love interest for Riley, Beck (Sebastian). The other three guys- Jasper, Dylan, and Evan are more like older brothers with a superiority complex. Each of these guys are tragic reflections of their families. Trained in survival skills since an early age, each of them have a role to play. Sometimes they play this role a little too well. Dante, Riley’s bestie and only link to her life before tries hard to stay in her life. She fights for him as well, but something isn’t adding up. He clearly wants out of the friend zone but does he really deserve to be let out? I don’t trust him. Then again with that cliffhanger, I don’t trust any of them. 

Broken Wings is a bully romance. One where the girl falls for the guy who bullies her. Never heard the term before until I read this book. I guess the term came from all of those anti-Twilighters who claim that Edward was a bully and created a toxic relationship. This was the nice way to say this book could be a trigger. It is also a dark romance, one that I couldn’t help but like. While there are other books in Jaymin Eve’s collection I liked more, I am waiting for the next book to come out. How could I not, with that cliffhanger. 

My Rating 3 out of 5 stars 


Favorite Quote “I’ve already lost everything, death is not my worst fear.” 


Other People 

Dante- Riley’s guy bestie 
Catherine- Riley’s birth mother 
Eddy- Riley’s girl bestie

No comments:

Post a Comment