Thursday, January 3, 2019

Review: Muffin Top


Author Avery Flynn 
Format e-book
Print Length 320 pages 
Publisher Entangled: Amara 
Published October 29, 2018 



The only thing about me that’s a size zero is the filter on my mouth. I’ve got a big personality, a big rack, and a big number on the scale. And I’m perfectly fine with that.

But when some random guy suggests I might not be eating alone if I’d ordered a salad instead of a hamburger I’m shocked silent, which is a feat, trust me.

That brings us to one sexy fireman named Frankie Hartigan. He’s hot. He’s funny… And he’s just apologized for being late for our “date” then glared at the fat-shaming jerk. Next thing I know, he’s sitting down and ordering himself dinner.

I have no problem telling him I don’t need a pity date… unless of course it’s to my high school reunion next week. Oops where did that last bit come from? And what do I do now that he’s said yes?!

Because this is no make-over story, and I think Frankie is using me for something. I just have to figure out what… 


My Opinion 


As a successful publicist, Lucy can spin any tale around any situation. She is extremely self-aware. She knows she is not stick figure thin and she is okay with that. As an adult she is okay with that, when she was in high school not so much and it doesn’t help that her high school reunion is right around the corner. As she is thinking about the reunion waiting on her friend to show for dinner-some random dude comes up and tells her she wouldn’t be so lonely if she lost some weight. Frankie overhears this and comes to her rescue right after being told by his boss he has to take time off. What better way to spend time off than with a beautiful gal at her high school reunion is his way of thinking. Lucy’s way- what is Frankie up to? 

Lucy is a realist. She doesn’t sugar coat things, calls a spade a spade and has no problem forgoing ordering a salad. Really though, what gal would have a problem skipping the salad and ordering the burger? Her childhood was not all rainbows and stars but honestly who’s is? She isn’t going to dwell on it too much. She just doesn’t really want to go to the reunion because in her hometown she wasn’t the confident business woman that she is now. Instead she was the insecure about her weight teenager-who isn’t though when they are a teen? 

Frankie is a man-whore. No one is going to put it that way but he is. He makes no attempt to cover it up and the woman that he chooses to tangle beneath the sheets with know this. It is because of his love-them-and-leave them ways he has decided that he will never find the one. That special person who will introduce him to their folks. When he sees Lucy (his brother’s fiancés bestie) getting bullied by a not so good-looking guy he steps right in and pretends to be her date. The reunion coming up is a way for him to take time off and get outta town otherwise he may attempt to fix something (usually leading to spending more money later on). 

The chemistry between Lucy and Frankie is off the charts. He accepts her for who she is and honestly doesn’t consider her weight an issue. She does though and it really is the repetitive background noise in her brain. (He can’t like me because I am bigger- since I am bigger there are a million other girls he will like better.) This is on repeat throughout the book, and honestly it is the major reason that this book gets a four star review. 

The story-line is good. The interaction between Frankie and Lucy is great. Lucy’s internal monolog honestly takes away from the story a lot. This was also the case in Butter Face for me though. I am guessing that it will be the case in Tom Boy as well when it is released. The comedy in this book is funny- the romance is real. The chemistry is on point. The one-liners from Frankie make the book. Who am I kidding Frankie makes the book. I do feel that the please forgive me scene was done by the wrong person. The other person totally overreacted and should have been the one to apologize. Then again this is probably why I am a reviewer and not the author. 

A sweet romantic comedy that may have you yelling at the heroine for a bit but the hero will turn you into a puddle of silly putty. I am looking forward to the next book in the series, Tomboy that releases Feb. 18. This one is about Fallon Hartigan one of Frankie and Ford’s sisters. I am really hoping the one after Tomboy is Tess’ story. If anyone deserves a story it is this meek florist. 

My Rating 4 stars of 5 stars 


Favorite Quote Why was it socially unacceptable to shame anyone for anything except their weight? 


Other People 

Gina- Lucy’s bestie 
Ford- Frankie’s brother 
Tess- Lucy’s other bestie 
Finn- Frankie’s twin

No comments:

Post a Comment