Monday, May 27, 2019

Review: The Coven: Elemental Magic




Author Chandelle Lavaun
Format e-book 
Print Length 1547 pages 
Publisher Wanderlost Publishing 
Published April 1, 2019 



I thought magic was make believe...but I was way wrong. 

I was nobody. No matter how hard I tried, I never fit in with anyone at my high school. Now I know why. 

Turns out I'm a witch. A scary powerful one, too. Except The Coven that claimed me won't teach me how to use my magic. 

Suddenly, I'm selected by the Goddess to hunt down a mythical locket needed to save the world from destruction. The only person who actually tries to help me is the alarmingly attractive Tennessee. He has immeasurable power and breathtaking mismatched eyes. I'm drawn to him on a level I can't explain...and he's forbidden from getting too close to me. 

When the quest takes an unexpected dangerous turn, I have to improvise. This supernatural world is unraveling at my fingertips and I need to master my magic fast. If I don't, I could get everyone I care about killed... 


My Opinion 


I have found a new favorite series! This box set is the surprise find of the year as well. It contains books 1-5 of the series which is a lot of pages and a lot of reading. Yet, it goes by so fast that you will literally look to see if the next book is already out. Good news~ it is! As well as a great spin-off that I am liking as much if not more than the original series. The series is told by multiple points of view mostly though from Tegan and Tennessee’s, the main female and male lead. The chapters are labeled with the name of the point of view if switching back and forth gets confusing. 

Tegan is moving from her hometown to FL so that her dad and step-mom can finally merger their families. She will gain a step-sister and of course be one of the two new girls in school. All is not what it seems though, as this summer she accidently met her step-sister at The Gathering as well as a mystery man. Mystery man happens to be a student at her new school as well. Turns out, he is the reluctant leader of the Coven is are the leaders of the magical witching community. She and her step-sister happen to be leaders of this community too, only they don’t know how to use their magic. What comes next is a series of quests, each more dangerous than the last to help them finish their ultimate goal. When one of the leaders of the Coven leaves, usually by death a new one is discovered. The leaders are all assigned roles based off of tarot card which is an interesting element. Forbidden love, brought together as soulmates. That is right fated soulmates, with insta-attraction/love but since it is about magic why would that stop you from reading it? 

Tegan is a girl who is thrown into a lot right off the bat. The discoveries that she makes and the danger that she is placed in is enough to make anyone want to throw their hands up and say I give. A lot rest on her shoulders and the pressure is building, yet she does not crumble. She has a strong spirit and a confidence that others seem to lack. There are things she doesn’t know and at times she has to wing it but she does fabulous when under stress and pressure. I especially like how she handles all the Coven secrets. 

Tennessee is a reluctant leader who has a hard time accepting his role, even though everyone else in the Coven already has. He is use to making decisions on the spot and being in charge, it is nice when someone else steps up to plate. He struggles with being a soulmate to someone who is forbidden. Forbidden with good reason, and the consequences are dire. While an alpha male, I enjoyed that he lets his soulmate figure things out on her own and supports her more than fixing things. Rare I know! 

The world building is pretty lengthy but does not take away from the story. There are more paranormal characters than just witches/mages. Each new book introduces a new quest for the dynamic duo to overcome. Some of the conflict is of their own making, while others are independent issues that are woven within the overarching theme. 

Fast paced, fun filled action adventure with magic to boot! I binge read this entire series over one weekend and then started the spin-off. The growth of the characters is seen with each new book, ultimately both of them coming into their own. For soulmates, their relationship runs extremely hot, as is their nature. So if you are looking for a rollercoaster ride of emotions, some fighting and some kissing this is the series for you. I liked it so much I got a second copy for my best friend to read so I had someone who knew what I meant when I was talking about the books/characters. 

My Rating 5 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “Hope is not lost.”


Other People 

Betinna- Tegan’s bestie 
Emersyn- Tegan’s step-sister, The Empress 
Cooper- Tennessee’s adoptive brother, The Star 
Royce- Tennessee’s best friend, Wheel of Fortune 
Henley- Royce’s sister, The Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment