Sunday, September 30, 2018

Review: House of Imperial

Author Jaymin Eve 
Format e-book 
Print Length 236 pages 
Publisher self 
Published July 15, 2018 



Callie has spent her life moving towns every four months in a bid to “stay off the grid." Her only family is a paranoid mother who believes there’s a race of supernatural beings out there actively searching for Callie. A race who could destroy Earth if they get their hands on her. Callie’s never seen one thing to suggest there’s any truth to mom’s insane ramblings, and at the age of eighteen now, she’s grown numb to her reality – she’s never going to have a normal life.


That is, until they move to New Orleans. The moment Callie steps foot into the Quarter, hears the jazz music, feels the soul of the city, the cold shell she’s built to protect herself starts to thaw.

Then they come for her. 

Turns out her mom’s stories are quite real, and whatever happens, Callie’s empty world will never be the same again. 



My Opinion 


I think for me this one suffered from the sophomore book curse. It was good, just not as good as the first book in the series. The aliens are back, with Emma in tow. They are looking for the other three Secret Keepers. Which has Daniel going off to New Orleans to find Callie. Callie has been raised with a paranoid momma and is counting on the days until she gets to leave her. She has no clue that everything her momma has warned her about is true. 

Callie is a strong independent woman, with a learning disability. I like that she can literally kick booty and she is not afraid to use her skills on anyone around her. She questions everything, and protects herself from those around her. She is skeptical of everything presented to her. Her relationship with her momma was hard pill to swallow in that I know people who have that type of relationship with their parents. I liked Callie a lot, but Daniel just did not do it for me. 

Daniel is the Imperial Overlord Major- his uncle was forced out and he took over. He is the only Overlord Major of the Daelighters guy group. He thinks that Callie is just going to fall in line and do what he wants, boy is he wrong. He has self-appointed himself as her protector. This is a little too much alpha male for me (there were two other Daelighters in line to find a Secret Keeper). Plus, he is very stand-offish, a little too serious all the time. I get that he is the Overlord Major, but goodness is he so woeful and gloomy all the time. 

The action was a slow burn in this one- it sparks, then goes away, then sparks again, the fades away again. When the action happens it happens fast and furious. Due to this, Daniel and Callie’s relationship moves from 0 to something in a very short time. I just really hated how they bonded. I just did not feel that they had any chemistry together. She had more chemistry with Emma for crying out loud. 

I did enjoy reading this book, I guess I was just expecting more. It does move the story along. There can’t be a war without casualties and the one in this book broke my heart. The next book is about Chase and I have been looking forward to that one. 

My Rating 3 out of 5 stars 


Favorite Quote “Sorry about your mom, but nothing you say will convince me that exercise is good for you. Scientists are wrong. Doctors are wrong. Everyone is wrong.” 


Other People 

Laous- Daniel’s uncle, big baddie 
Emma- First Secret Keeper 
Lexen- Daniel’s bestie

No comments:

Post a Comment