Friday, September 14, 2018

Review: Butterface


Author Avery Flynn 
Format e-book 
Print Length 250 pages 
Publisher Entangled Amara 
Published July 30, 2018 



It’s true. I’m not what most people would call “pretty” and, well, high school was rough. Fast forward ten years and life is good… 


Until a bunch of jerks think it’s hilarious to put the “butterface” (AKA me) on a wedding Kiss Cam with the hottest guy ever—and that old humiliation hits hard. 

I recognize him immediately. The sexiest cop in Waterbury and totally out of my league. 

But then he kisses me. 

And we totally forget the room, the crowd, everything. 

Then he tells everyone we’ve been dating for months. 

Soon everything starts to feel too real, from adorable fights over “necessary” tools to fix my broken porch to surviving a free-for-all dinner with his six siblings to picking up where our last kiss left off. 

But there’s something he’s not telling me about why he’s really hanging around, and I’m pretty sure it has to do with my mob-connected brothers. 

Because this is not a make-over story, and Cinderella is only a fairy tale… 



My Opinion 


Gina’s family has mobster ties, she on the other hand does not. She is a wedding planner and stays out of the family business. Her overprotective brothers on the other hand, are knee-deep in the mobster life although they do keep it away from Gina as much as possible. They are overprotective due to Gina not being the prettiest girl around. The book does a very good job of describing her flaws over and over and over again. Ford Hartigan is a hot cop on the fast track to being made detective on the police force. He just needs a big break in the local mob case. That break comes in the form of a dead body in Gina’s house. Now he is on protective duty, where the lines between protecting her from the mob or himself becomes blurred. 

Gina is a woman who has come to terms with being without the white picket fence, husband and two point five kids. Instead she just wants to renovate her house and make her wedding planning business successful. Gina’s looks are very dominate in this story. A little too dominate and it took away from enjoying the book. They are also the reason that her brothers are super protective of her. 

While Ford is hot, he does have some insecurities himself. He did not follow in the footsteps of his family business- joining the fire department. He has always seen himself as an outsider in his own family and has set himself apart from them a little. His family is loving and supportive so this made no sense- you’ll see them in throughout this book. 

Gina’s brothers, friends and Ford’s family is what made me keep reading long past the point of annoyance for how often her face is mentioned. Ford’s co-workers are the worse, so superficial and just need to be brought down a peg or two. 

I was really excited about this one, especially when I read the blurb and then the first chapter on a preview. Gina and Ford had a lot of chemistry in the first chapter, which is what got me to read the book in the first place. And while I finished the book, I was left with a bit of disgust in well humanity. I get that people are teased in high school for how they look. I do not think that every minute of every day should there be someone in an adult’s life that talks about her looks so much. This is what made me feel ill, seriously every chapter was about her looks. I get it she has big eyes and a big nose but her body is smoking hot so get over it. 

So why three stars? It is not a traditional rom-com. In fact there are very little comedy parts in this book. Instead, I did enjoy that Gina did not change a single thing about herself- no make-over, no chasing after the guy. She just lived her best life. I enjoyed reading it when I wasn’t annoyed at everyone for being so judgy-mc-judgersons. 

My Rating 3 out of 5 stars 


Favorite Quote "Newsflash, I don’t wear glasses, so there’s no taking them off and then suddenly I’m a total babe and believably your girlfriend.” 


Other People 

Rocco- Gina’s brother 
Paul- Gina’s brother 
Lucy- Gina’s bestie

No comments:

Post a Comment