Monday, April 16, 2012

Reveal

Author: Brina Courtney
Format: eBook
Print Length: 166 pages
Publisher: Self Published
Published:  December 15, 2011

Shay Tafford's childhood has been fatherless, filled instead with memories of speaking to those who have passed on. She does this while hiding her unique ability from those living around her. She can't tell her best friend, or her brother, and she definitely can't confide in her psychologist mother for fear of her mom locking her up.That's why it's been comforting to have Jeremy, a seventy year old child ghost, as her confidante. But recently he's been absent, perhaps lost as her father is. When Shay meets Hugh, the boy she's had a crush on for weeks, and finds he can speak to ghosts too she's just starting to find a normalcy in her life. But as Hugh reveals the truth to Shay, about who she really is and about what it is she can do, he erases all chances she had at a normal existence. Turns out talking to ghosts is just scratching the surface of her genetically engineered gifts. Shay learns she may be part of an age old prophecy that could save an entire race of beings. But can she?

Now there is the threat of an attack from a dark force with unlimited power and she must decide if she accepts her fate as a part of the prophecy. Can Shay and Hugh defeat this evil and save the people they love, before they too are lost forever?

My Thoughts
I liked it.  I enjoyed the new concept of "cryptids". A "cryptid" part human, part animal; some of whom have special powers. I was grateful that there were no werewolves in the book regardless of the animal/human gene.   I was very happy that there was not a love triangle. 

There were parts of it that I tended to roll my eyes at- the instantly in love with him part, the being okay with him taking her out of the state part (without telling her) and the parental figure not freaking out about any of this.  But all in all the book was pretty good.  As I read I decided that I seriously had to know what happened with Shay and Hugh.

My favorite character in the book is one that we do not see often, Olivia, Shay's living best friend.  There is something about her that is refreshing.  But that tends to happen with side-kicks.

Least favorite character is a little child ghost name Wendy.  She kinda creeps me out.  I think that she is evil, the entire time I am reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment