Monday, August 29, 2016

Review: Broken Compass

Author Jaymin Eve
Format e-book
Print Length 122 pages
Publisher self
Published August 21, 2016

Broken Compass is a spinoff within the Supernatural Prison World. Told in dual POVs from Maximus Compass and Mischa Lebron. This is full length and standalone. You do not need to read the Supernatural Prison trilogy first.

Maximus Compass is a vampire without direction. Without heart. And without soul. He lost his true mate in the great battle against the dragon king, and now must face life alone.

And yet … something is happening to his agony. It’s fading away, leaving him with barely a memory of the female he believed to be his one and only.
As his mind clears he starts to wonder if the mate bond had been nothing more than a manufactured ploy? This suspicion explodes within him right around the time he runs back into a certain wolf shifter.

Mischa Lebron is a complication he doesn’t need in his life. He can’t erase her from his mind though, and while memories of his supposed true mate continue to fade into mere shadows, his one night with Mischa is blazingly strong. But they’re not of the same supernatural race, so there’s no way for a a true bond to exist between them.

Right?

When an old threat rips apart their pack, Maximus will come to realize that he would do anything to save Mischa. That the mate he thought was perfect and precious was nothing on the shifter he walked away from. Now Maximus truly has everything to lose.

My Opinion


The ending of the Supernatural Prison series was bittersweet. Yeah, our main characters got their happily ever after but a lot of our side characters did not. One such character was Max. Maximus Compass, one of the Quads lost his true mate in that series. Losing your mate is hard on a supernatural, most do not survive the lost for long. Max thinks that he is broken, as he is not reacting to her death like he should. Like others who have lost their true mate have. The Quads know that something is wrong, and they will find out what it is. With two members of their pack weeks away from giving birth a old threat comes back to bite them. Can the Compass brother save their woman?

I puff heart adored Max in the Supernatural Prison series. Always there for Jessa, always willing to have her back. I didn’t like his mate Cardia, too much. She grated on my nerves with her coldness. I kinda hoped that their mateship was a spell or something. My dislike of her had nothing on my pure hatred of Mishca. Jessa’s twin was weak, too weak the entire series. So when her reveal came at the end of the series I was like darn it Maximus how could you. She is so freaking whiney- the complete opposite of Jessa. Needless to say I was not happy.

Max is still Max- protective, caring, and of course arrogant. He knows is he all that and some cracker jacks. The reveal in the beginning throws him for a loop. How? Huh? What? He vampires up and attempts to be there for Mischa. I kinda adore how he goes all vampy in the beginning and then realizes that he is making her ill. The flip-flopping of his moods works for me. I hate his confusion concerning his true mate and was glad when the light shines down on that issue.

Mishca, I know I am suppose to fall madly in love with her in this book. I don’t. I still found her as wow is me…… my life is so hard……. my momma was an empty shell, I grew up human, life is soooo hard routine eye-rolling. It was still a great story. They fit together somehow. In the grand scheme of things, they work. Everyone excusing her behavior didn’t fly with me either. Ummm..no you put your sister in danger chica over a guy. This is unacceptable behavior regardless of which side of the Mason- Dixon line.

Kristoff is a son of a vamp. He seriously needs to die like yesterday. Where is his missing daughter and please oh please don’t make her one of the Compass’ true mate. That would make me want to puke. Speaking of missing- where the heck is Grace? Why the heck hasn’t Tyson lost his mind yet and gone after her? Please let their story be next.

A lot happens in Broken Compass, which made it a wonderful rollercoaster ride of emotions. The ending was oh my goodness surreal. What happens to that critical character that won’t wake up? What happens to the human they find? Will Tyson finally go after Grace? Yeah, a lot of questions. At least the reader is satisfied knowing that Braxton and Maximus are where they need to be. If you haven’t read the first series do so now, before you start the spin-offs. 

My Rating 4 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “I had already chosen you.”


Other People

Louis- warlock, there is something about him
Tyson- mage brother
Jacob- fey brother

No comments:

Post a Comment