Friday, January 12, 2018

Review: Spartan Heart


Author
Jennifer Estep
Format e-book
Print Length 279 pages
Publisher self
Published December 5, 2017

New school year, same old problems . . . 

At Mythos Academy, everyone knows exactly who I am: Rory Forseti, Spartan girl and the daughter of Reapers. 

Even though I fought alongside my cousin Gwen Frost to save the mythological world from Loki and his evil Reapers of Chaos, I’m still the most hated girl at the academy because of all the horrible things my parents did. I had hoped that this school year would be different, but the other kids just won’t let me forget about my parents. 

But something strange is going on at the Colorado Academy. First, I run into a Viking guy who dislikes me more than most. Then I notice some odd artifacts in the Library of Antiquities. And worst of all, I start hearing rumors about a new group of Reapers who can summon mythological monsters. 

I might be the most hated girl at Mythos Academy, but I’m also the only one who can save it . . . 

My Opinion


***Spoiler Alert***This review contains some spoilers for the original series***

I was so excited when I found out that Jennifer Estep was writing a spin-off to the Mythos Academy series. I laughed in delight when we found out that it was going to be about Rory, Gwen’s cousin. Then I not so patiently waited for the release date. If you have not read the original series, I would suggest that you do before starting this one. The first book was Touch of Frost, it was fabulous and will give you the back ground information that you would be missing going into Spartan Heart.

Spartan Heart begins about a year after the events in Killer Frost the sixth and final book in the original Mythos Academy series. The book follows Rory Forseti, Gwen’s Spartan cousin who parents happen to be Reaper Assassins. She didn’t know until the final battle and she fought against them. As assassins, they had killed a lot of good people. The betrayal cut deep, and the wounds are still bleeding. This could be due to the other students harboring some serious hate for Rory even though she fought on the good side.

Rory is definitely the most hated girl on campus which she knows and handles pretty well. She has the support of her Aunt Rachel and that helps her for the most part. She even has a plan concentrate on her schoolwork, and prove she is not like her parents. Only hanging out at the library to do your schoolwork could be extremely dangerous when Reapers show up and bring with them chimeras. So Rory does what Spartans do best, she fights them. After a quick visit with Linus Quinn, the head of the Protectorate, Rory is put on the case of the missing artifacts with a team of other students lead by a Samurai.

There is a quesi-love interest. Not sure if it will turn out to be anything as the sparks that were there with Logan and Gwen were missing with Rory and Ian. I think this will be solved in the second book, once they spend more time together.

There are some parallels between this book and the first series- the library being the focal point, reapers, talking swords, Goddess quest, an animal sidekick. This book is still fresh and exciting in its own right. 

A great start to a spin-off series, and I was excited to be back in the world where Romans, Vikings, Valkyrie, Spartans and Samurai’s all intermingle.

My Rating 4 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “I wanted to do something important. Something that mattered. Something that would aid other people.”


Other People

Lance- Roman warrior, school golden boy
Professor Takada- Samurai, mentor to Ian
Aunt Rachel- Rory’s Aunt
Zoe- Valkyrie

No comments:

Post a Comment