Friday, May 29, 2015

Review: The List

Author Kate L. Mary
Format e-ARC
Print Length ?
Publisher Lyrical Press
Published May 26, 2015

The List. Twenty things every girl must do before she turns twenty. . .

Body piercing
Get drunk
First kiss


But thanks to her crazy, over-protective father, Annie Roth is way behind schedule. Good thing it’s her first semester of college, because Annie is more than ready to start checking off items. . .

Fake ID
Skinny dipping
Road trip!!!


Where it gets complicated? Ryan and Chris. Best friends. Both sweet, funny, totally hot, and totally into Annie.

But there are some things on The List that Annie only wants to do with Ryan. . .

Lose it
Get Heart Broken
Fall in love


My Opinion

Annie is a girl that due to a horrific event grew-up very sheltered. She also grew-up very protected by her daddy and four older brothers. Since she was the only girl in a house full of mean she pretty much was a tomboy by default. She wonders if that is who she really is or if there is more to her. The List is suppose to help her discover the truth about herself.

While The List is entertaining, I did not feel a connection with Annie. I couldn’t sympathize with her instead I was angry with her pretty much throughout the whole book. She meets her roomie and instantly they are besties? Umm…okay. Then she starts dating one guy while incredibly lusting over his best friend. She drinks for liquid courage.. maybe her daddy was right to protect her. She keeps making a lot of wrong decisions just because she can. There is a love triangle- love triangles do not make me happy.

Chris, oh the reason I kept reading. Chris is the sweet understanding guy that Annie is dating. He is clueless to fact that his best friend and Annie have an insta-lust attraction to each other. He tries to be understanding , giving Annie her space. Protecting her even when she gets pissed about it- I feel bad for him.

Throughout the book, I kept thinking Annie needs to grow-up. She whines a lot, internally which I get I do but dang is it overwhelming. Her treatment of her family also annoyed me- I wanted to yell at her. “Good Lord child call your daddy” a good amount of the time, while I was reading.

The List is an entertaining read about one girls road to self-discovery. The mistakes she makes and the consequences that come with them. Do I recommend the book- yes. That is largely due in part to the secondary characters in the book. The next book in the series is about Cami and Liam and that is one book I can get excited about.

My Rating 3 stars out of 5


Favorite Quote “I wanted to be your first everything. And your last.”


Other People

Cami- Annie’s roomie
Ryan- Chris’ bestie, Cami’s cousin
Liam- Ryan’s roomie

2 comments:

  1. Annie sounds like a character that would really bother me too. It's hard to enjoy a story when you can't connect with the main character. Chris sounds like a sweetheart. The plot of the story sounds entertaining. Hopefully, you'll be able to connect more with Cami and Liam :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually enjoy these types of reads. That favorite quote sounds good too. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete