Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Review: Spartan Frost

Author: Jennifer Estep
Format: e-ARC
Print Length:

Publisher: K-Teen
Published: June 25, 2013

I’m Logan Quinn, the deadliest Spartan warrior at Mythos Academy. At least I was — until the day I almost killed Gwen Frost.

Professor Metis and Nickamedes say that I’m fine, that Loki and the Reapers don’t have a hold on me anymore, but I can’t risk it. I can’t risk hurting Gwen again. So I’m leaving Mythos and going somewhere far, far away.

I know Gwen wonders what’s happening to me, whether I’m safe. I can’t tell her, but this is my story …

My Opinion


Spoilers for Crimson Frost… do not read this review if you have not read Crimson frost.

Spartan Frost takes place a few weeks after the events of Crimson Frost. Logan attempted to kill Gwen, the love of his life in Crimson Frost. He was under a horrendous spell, and well was being made to do this horrible act. Gwen saved him from the spell at the last minute, as his sword cut into her body. If not for the healing power of Daphne and Professor Metis she would have died. This event will cause Logan to flee with his dad.

Spartan Frost is an emotional follow-up to Crimson Frost. Told entirely from Logan’s point of view, it allows those invested in the series to see what he is going through. Man, does that boy have a lot of guilt. Only to be outweighed by the love he has for Gwen. Which presents itself in almost every thought he has- Gwen this and Gwen that. The fact that he honestly believes that he no longer is worthy of her is heartbreaking. He is trying to bury his guilt in extra training and hunting down Reapers. He feels he has something to prove, has to make it better and has to keep his distance from Gwen for fear that he may hurt her again. I am thinking though that his distance is hurting her enough, silly boy. Logan is going to try to make up for what he did by killing as many Reapers as possible. Let’s face it he is a Spartan, killing is what he does.

Logan’s dad is different in this story; he is more of a parent than the leader of the Protectorate. This was a welcomed change in the character. He was so hard and distant in Crimson Frost, so sure of Gwen’s guilt and so disappointed in Logan’s involvement with her. Here he is supportive and well, daddy like. He openly worries about Logan and is doing his best to make sure his son is going to be okay.

Spartan Frost is the great divide between Crimson Frost and Midnight Frost. A story from a guy’s point of view on how he screwed up his relationship-even though his was not his fault. After reading Spartan Frost, you will realize that Logan Quinn is the ultimate book boyfriend.

My Rating 5 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “Thinking about Gwen made always made me smile… until I remembered what I’d done to her.”


Other Characters

Linus Quinn- Logan’s dad and head of the Protectorate
Sergei-A Protectorate
Inari-A Protectorate

No comments:

Post a Comment