Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Format: ebook
Print Length: 452
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Published: Dec. 11, 2012 

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it. 


My Thoughts

When we last left Katy and Daemon, someone had just died, another had just returned from the dead. Opal opens up a few days following these events. A lot has happened, no one is the same. 

Dawson is a changed man or Luxen. He is almost fanatical about getting Bethany out of the hands of the DOD. It is talking all of Daemon’s strength and patience to keep him from returning there. Finally, he and Katy agree to help Dawson rescue Bethany. But he has to do it his way. 

Katy and Daemon’s relationship keeps getting stronger. They have accepted each other’s strengths and weaknesses. I adore the fact that Daemon gets jealous of others. Katy was very saintly in this installment, talking all the blame for well everything that happened in the last book. This got to be a tad bit annoying, but at least she manned up about her part in it all. 

The character that will surprise me the most is Dee. I am a little bothered by her reaction to everything. Yes, she has a right to be angry but I felt that she was directing the anger at the wrong person. She does punch Blake in the face. Blake- yeah he is back. Get this, they have to trust him in order to get Bethany out of the DOD facility. Now, I don’t know about you but I would trust him about as far as I could throw him. Let’s be honest, I cannot even pick him up. 

The characters are as witty and sarcastic as ever. The book ends in a great cliffhanger that is so surprising, so shocking that I had to re-read it a couple of times to be sure that it was what really happened. Then I had to confirm that it happened with a few other readers. I was largely flabbergasted with what happens. 

How will they get out of this one? The next seven months are going to feel like torture to all Lux fans everywhere. But then again, without such a provoking ending would we really be on the edge of our reading chairs waiting and theorizing about what will happen next? 

My Rating 5 out of 5 stars (I loved this book so much nothing could have pulled me away from it.)


Favorite Quote “See, that’s possibly the stupidest thing you’ve ever said.” “For real? I say a lot of stupid things.”


Other Characters

Dee- Daemon’s sister and Katy’s best friend (or she was) 
Ashley- Mean gal Lux although we did not see much of her this go round 
Blake- Lux/Human hybrid who I kinda wish would get into a fight with Daemon just so Daemon could beat him up 
Dawson- Daemon and Dee’s brother, escaped from the DoD, seems a little bit off now 
Luc- another Lux/Human hybrid, he’s new and for some reason I kinda like him

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review. I love the Lux series but have yet to read Opal even though it has been on my shelf for several weeks now. I've been putting it off because of the mentioned cliffhanger and the long wait there after.

    Thanks for stopping by my Teaser and Swoon. I love your regular visits and awesome comments:D

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete