Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Luminosity



Author: Stephanie Thomas
Format: eARC 
Print Length: 296
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Published: Nov. 13, 2012 

My name is Beatrice. When I was born, I was blessed with the Sight. I was immediately removed from my parents and enrolled in the Institution. At the age of twelve, I had my first true vision, earning my raven’s wings. And when I turned seventeen, one of my visions came true. Things haven’t been the same since. 

The Institution depends on me to keep the City safe from our enemy, the Dreamcatchers, but I’m finding it harder to do while keeping a secret from everyone, including my best friend Gabe. It is a secret that could put us all in danger. A secret that could kill me and everyone close to me. 

But the enemy has been coming to me in my dreams, and I think I’m falling in love with him. He says they’re coming. He says they’re angry. And I think I’ve already helped them win. 

My Thoughts 

Luminosity is a book that shines bright in a sea of paranormal books of vampire, werewolves, witches, fae and shape-shifters. Seers and Dreamcatchers in a dystopia society was a refreshing change of pace. 

Beatrice (Bea) was the best seer at the Institution. Some even thinks that she’s a better seer than the keeper. Bea grew up at the Institution- where all violet-eyed babies are brought. Violet-eyes meant you had the gift of sight- you saw the future. Which protects the rest of her society from the Dreamcatchers- one touch from one of them and you are dead. 

Bea starts having visions she does not understand. She visits the Widow- a former seer who was dismissed from the Institute because of Dreamcatcher- one who visited her in her dreams. The Widow warns Beatrice- of the Keeper and of her dreams. 

Back at the Institute things get worse. Bea trying to protect her best friend, Gabriel begins keeping secrets from him. Secrets that could get them both locked away. You see, a Dreamcatcher can talk to her in her dreams. His name is Echo. He says that they have to save ourselves from each other. He must save her, and she must save him. 

Bea is a unique main character- strong, independent and a protector. She does not hide behind a sassy or snarky attitude but instead is just refreshingly polite. She will do what it takes to protect those she loves. She follows the rules of the institute but knows something is off and decides to get to the bottom of it. 

There was no real love interest in the book- Bea has feelings for Gabriel that went a little beyond best friends. Gabriel had feelings for Bea that went a little beyond best friends but they did not act upon those feelings too much. Bea only met Echo at the end of the book so there was no “real” romance there- although the beginnings of feelings do start. Both relationships were sweet but underdeveloped in the loved department. This suited me just fine- there is a lot going on in the book I would not want a love triangle to get in the way. 

I enjoyed Luminosity, it was a book that I read in one seating. The world that Bea lived in was remarkable - and kinda naïve. The citizens allowed the Keeper and other Seers to be their source of protection. Yet there were those that questioned, and rebelled against the Keepers’ directives. Others still blindly followed the Keeper- even if it went against their morals. The ending will probably not surprise you but it may just shock you with the timing of Bea’s actions and the things that are revealed.

My Rating 5 stars out of 5 stars 


Favorite Quote “Beware what you cannot see. Trust what you cannot trust.” 


Other Characters 

Gabriel- Bea’s best friend, they have stronger feelings for each other 
Echo- Dreamcatcher that talks to Beatrice 
Rachelle- mean gal Seer 
Connie- Seer, one of Bea’s close friends 
Mae- Seer, another one of Bea’s close friends- tends to be overly positive 
Brandon- Seer, another one of Bea’s friends, 
Elan- Seer, team member, who helps Bea hide

No comments:

Post a Comment