Friday, September 6, 2019

Let's Discuss... Books Vs Movies




Is the book always better?


In general, I would agree the book is better sometimes though I find myself coinciding that the movie was well better. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it just happens- across all genres.

When the movie was better...



I was forced to read The Princess Bride in high school, and while it was okay. It wasn't until the movie that I actually liked it. What makes it even more amazing, is that the author is the one who wrote the screen-play. So he really did up the ante.



The Shawshank Redemption was another where I felt that the movie added so much more. This is probably cause the book was really novella length.





A Walk to Remember...my first Nicholas Sparks book and the only one I finished. Mandy Moore and Shawn West were perfect for the characters.





The Notebook was one of the first books I DNF. I decided while reading it that Nicholas Sparks and I just did not mix. Yet, when the movie came out a bunch of friends and I went to see it. It was good, darn good. One of my favorite romantic movies ever- granted I rarely watch pure romantic movies.

Image result for the pelican brief


The Pelican Brief, one of the first book to movie adaptions I saw. I was blown away with how well the characters were portrayed. Julia as Barby and Denzel as Gray were seriously the best casting choices ever.





I know I am going to get backlash for this one but The Hunger Games the movie was so much more than the books. It could be due to me watching the movies first, and then being begged to read the books by my students. I read the first two- the movies were better so I passed on reading the third.




When the book is better...





Vampire Academy Any doubts that the book was better is crushed when you look at the sheer numbers of books and spin-off books verses the number of movie adaptation. Although the movie entertained me to no end- just saying.





Beautiful Creatures Is it even fair to compare when they were so drastically different?





The Mortal Instruments so much left out, that I can't even. If you want me to go there though ummm no mention of parabatai, demons in the institute and Cary/ Valentine with the cup to start.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on A Walk to Remember. I remember deciding to read that book first before the movie because I liked Mandy Moore at the time. There were just little things that happened in the book that I didn't like. The movie was one of the last sappy films I watched before I grew bored of them! Lol. The Princess Bride was a movie I grew up watching--that and Jaws. I watched them over and over and over again and it wasn't until I was older, like middle school maybe, that I finally read the books. They were good, but after watching the movies about a 1000+ times, you kind of grow to like those more and compare the book to them. Shame, I know.

    Movies that really sucked in comparison to their book counterpart...definitely agree about Vampire Academy. It was just a little too cheesy for me when I had been expecting that epic kind of movie-ness like Divergent where things were serious and the filming was more ideal than just cheesy. Blood & Chocolate (shudders) I will forever ADORE that book, but that movie...it was awful as a movie based on a book. NOTHING was the same except character names, the entire storyline was changed and I hated it. It wasn't at all what I had hoped for from one of my all time favorite books as a teen.

    ReplyDelete