Monday, February 12, 2018

Review: The Dating Debate


Author Chris Cannon
Format e-book
Print Length 242 pages
Publisher Entangled Crush
Published Feb. 5, 2018



Nina Barnes thinks Valentine’s Day should be optional. That way single people like her wouldn’t be subjected to kissy Cupids all over the place. That is, until her mom moves them next door to the brooding hottie of Greenbrier High, West Smith. He’s funny, looks amazing in a black leather jacket, and he’s fluent in Harry Potter, but she’s not sure he’s boyfriend material. 

West isn’t sure what to make of Nina. She’s cute and loves to read as much as he does, but she seems to need to debate everything and she has a pathological insistence on telling the truth. And West doesn’t exactly know how to handle that, since his entire life is a carefully constructed secret. Dating the girl next door could be a ton of fun, but only if Nina never finds out the truth about his home life. It’s one secret that could bring them together or rip them apart. 

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book is not for anyone who has to get in the last word, but it is for all book nerds, especially those who live next door to so called unapproachable gorgeous guys. There’s no debating the chemistry.



My Opinion


Nina lives in a house that is attached to another house, built by brothers back in the day they rent from the family who lives next door. The mother is never to be seen, the father never smiles and the son, well he is a mystery. Not one that she is too concerned with until one day when she tries to escape her brother’s matchmaking skills. She accidentally stumbles across West (next door neighbor) trying to tell his ex no to the Valentine’s Day Dance that she wants him to take her to. West looks up and sees Nina and blurts out that they are going together. Hence The Dating Debate commences.

Nina is a cute gal with need to read, books are her life, eat chocolate and argue. West is a guy with the weight of his family’s life on his shoulders. What could go wrong? Throw in a closing library, extra credit, opposite sides of the debate and you got the perfect mix of banter and laughter.

I related to Nina instantly, especially once I found out why she hates lying so much. How her momma handled the situation with her dad was masterfully. She was not an absent parent, nor did she take his betrayal lying down. This of course will influence both of her kids. While Nina is a book nerd, it came across a little bit more like a Harry Potter fangirl than a true book dragon.

West’s homelife sucks. I hate that he is more like the parent than his parents. I get why it had to be that way, but I felt bad for him. I understand his need to have an escape room and to keep his homelife a secret. I probably would have done the same thing. I liked that his parent’s behavior is explained in the end, and I don’t know if I would have handled the situation any better than his mother did.

I was looking for an easy read that left me with a smile on my face, The Dating Debate did not disappoint. If you like a fast paced fluffy feel good romance, this is the book for you. This is the first book in the Dating Dilemas series, and I hope the next one comes out soon. I am also hoping that it stars Lisa and Matt, hey a reader can dream can’t I. 

My Rating 4 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “Feel free to punch him if the opportunity arises.”


Other People

Lisa- Nina’s bestie
Matt- West’s cousin
Charlie- West’s other cousin

No comments:

Post a Comment