Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Midnight Frost



Author: Jennifer Estep
Format: eARC
Print Length: 400
Publisher: K-Teen
Published: July 30, 2013

Here we go again … 

Just when it seems life at Mythos Academy can’t get any more dangerous, the Reapers of Chaos manage to prove me wrong. It was just a typical night at the Library of Antiquities — until a Reaper tried to poison me. The good news is I’m still alive and kicking. The bad news is the Reaper poisoned someone else instead. 

As Nike’s Champion, everyone expects me to lead the charge against the Reapers, even though I’m still hurting over what happened with Spartan warrior Logan Quinn. I’ve got to get my hands on the antidote fast — otherwise, an innocent person will die. But the only known cure is hidden in some creepy ruins — and the Reapers are sure to be waiting for me there …

My Opinion


I received an eARC through the publishers, this in no way influenced my review.

There are spoilers from Crimson Frost in this review. Please stop reading if you have not read Crimson Frost, the review may be hazardous to your health.


When I got the eARC for Midnight Frost, I was in heaven literally. It felt like Nike had smiled down upon me and handed me one of those artifacts that Gwen is supposed to find. My only fear was that it would not live up to its predecessor. Silly fear, one that after the first chapter was no longer a worry in my head..

Midnight Frost picks up a few weeks after the events of Crimson Frost. Gwen is (well to borrow a word from Vic) moping about Logan’s sudden departure and she has been having nightmares concerning the events that caused him to go. The Reapers wait for no moping champion and instead make another attempt on her life. Someone close to her falls ill and she must travel to a dangerous area to get the cure. Daphne, Carson, Oliver, Alexei and Coach Ajax take on this challenge with Gwen.

Reapers attack Gwen left and right, seriously even on the train to their destination. Thankfully though Rory, Gwen’s cousin is on the train to help save her. Although, Rory has a skewed opinion of Gwen. I like that this is an added element to Gwen’s life and personality. Rory adds some comic relief that had been missing due to Logan’s departure.

Gwen wants to mope, needs to mope but you know what is the best thing about Gwen? Regardless of how bad her life sucks and she needs ice cream therapy. She always, always puts her big girl pants on and preservers. The Reaper attacks are fierce in this book. Action packed from the beginning to the end.

Logan is in this edition, because really what is a Mythos Academy book without him? He is still torn up over what he did to Gwen and to their love. Honestly, though I love how Gwen handles it. She tries to give him space but after about two minutes she tells him to deal. It was perfection.

The thing that I did not enjoy about this edition of the Mythos Academy saga is that there are very little swoony elements. Granted this is due to the circumstances surrounding their relationship. Crimson Frost had a lot of great swoony moments that I felt a little deprived in that retrospect.

Will Logan be able to keep his promise? Will they find the artifacts that they need? Will they preserver over the Reapers? Midnight Frost was a fantastic book that will leave the readers wondering what is next for Gwen and Company.

My Rating 5 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “She’d totally killed Hello Kitty, and she knew it.”


Other People

Daphne- Gwen’s best friend and a Valkyrie (a girl Viking).
Carson- Daphne’s boyfriend and a Celt barb warrior.
Alexei- a Protectorate-in-training. He knows Logan and is starting a friendship with Oliver.
Coach Ajax- one of Gwen’s teachers, chaperons the trip.
Rory- Gwen’s long lost cousin, has had it rough. Trying to prove she is different from her parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment