Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dark Frost

Author: Jennifer Estep
Format: eBook
Print Length: 401 pages
Publisher: Kensington Books
Published: May 29, 2012


I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.


Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychometry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life.

My Thoughts

Dark Frost does not disappoint, in fact I read the book in one day.  The emotional attachment that the reader develops with Gwen, Daphne , Carson and Logan is as strong as ever.  There will be a time in the book when you are confused by some of their actions.  There may even be a time when you are yelling at one of them for being a moron.  But I promise it is worth it. 

Within the first three chapters there may be tears forming in your eyes.  If you are sensitive, by chapter 13 you would have cried.  But goodess is it worth it.  Gwen has been through so much by the time that this book is published that you honestly may wonder what more could the author do to her.   The answer to that unspoken question is a heck a lot. 

The Reapers of Chaos are pure evil and you ending up begging for their deaths.  You do find out some answers to questions that have been in your mind from previous books in the series.  But the ending will leave you with more questions.  Gwen’s reaction in the end is heartbreaking.  The author writes her emotions so well that you will be feeling them as you read them.  Honestly to this reader Christmas Eve could not get here fast enough.

My Rating 5 out of 5 stars

Other Characters

Daphne- Gwen’s best friend and a Valkyrie (a girl Viking).  She is ubber strong and goes through something in this book that is not so great.
Carson- Daphne’s boyfriend and a Celt barb warrior.  How that actually works out we are not sure but hey he can fight when he needs to.
Logan- Gwen’s love interest.  If only they could actually get together.  He is also the best fighter at Mythos Academy being a Spartan and all.  That could explain why he is always saving Gwen’s life.
Nott-  A fenrir wolf that Gwen’s accidently adopts. 
Nickamedes- Logan’s uncle and head librarian.  A lot of answers to questions concerning him in this book.
Professor Metis- Athena’s champion, and Gwen’s mentor.  Best friends with Gwen’s momma.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this book on GR's and really wanted to read it. Then realized it was part of a series. I keep hearing such good things that I got the first book, Touch of Frost. But, I keep adding more and more books to my TBR and forgetting about it. Great post- think I'll try to start the first book this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously- drop what you are reading right now and download Touch of Frost. Jennifer Estep has never ever disappointed me. She is a fabulous writer. It is such a fun series to read.

    ReplyDelete