Friday, June 10, 2016

Review: Shadowdance

Author Kristen Callihan
Format e-book
Print Length 427 pages
Publisher Forever
Published Dec. 17, 2013

Once a heart is lost in shadow...

Life has been anything but kind to Mary Chase. But the Society for the Suppression of Supernaturals has given her purpose. Now she's been tasked with catching a vicious murderer dubbed the Bishop of Charing Cross. But someone is already on the case—and the last thing he relishes is a partner.

Only someone who lives in darkness can find it.

Jack Talent has been alone with his demons for many years. He never expected to have the willful Mary Chase assist him on the Bishop case. Their age-old rivalry reaches new heights—even as their desire for one another reaches a fever pitch. Though he aches to bring her close, Jack's dark secrets are a chasm between them. With dangerous enemies closing in, Jack must find the strength to face the past...or risk losing Mary forever.


My Opinion


Shadowdance is the fourth book in the series. You need to read this series in order as each book has roots in the previous novel. 

When we first met Jack, he was the valet to Ian Ranulf. He then moved into the role of protector for Winston Lane, and finally he has his own book. We get a glimpse of Mary early on in the series but she really came in her own in Winterblaze. As Poppy’s assistant we got to see a determined gal, who while technically a GIM, who is loyal to the SOS. The events of Winterblaze has changed Jack, he is harder now. Torture will do that to you I suppose. He is also meaner or at least with Mary he is. I truly didn’t understand why. She did save his life, why push her away. It took a long time for the big reveal on that to come about. By the time it did, I was so annoyed with him that it didn’t seem as big of a deal as it was to him.

Mary is partnered with Jack because he has made little progress with the Bishop of Charing Cross case. There is good reason for this, one I won’t tell. She is intuitive, intelligent and just as ruthless as Jack can be when catching a criminal. Is this one that the SOS can afford to catch? Then the copycat killer shows up, what is their agenda?

Both Jack and Mary have had hard lives already. Really both of their lives have been horrible. Both have been taken advantage of against their wills. It is a wonder that they have both come out of their situations relatively sane. With only one true aspect of their lives changed- that of relationships.

The relationship between Jack and Mary is one of animosity mixed with flirting, sprinkled with deep regret. Regret on both sides which may seem odd to the reader. I am not so sure I would have forgiven Jack. I would have for what was revealed. I just am not so sure I would have for his treatment of Mary during the last few years. I get his reasoning behind it, I just don’t like it. 

Shadowdance is the perfect blend of mystery, romance, paranormal. I liked this addition to the series. As to if it was the best so far in the series, I would have to say no, surprisingly. I liked Winterblaze a bit more than I did Shadowdance. I am looking forward to the next story as we were introduce to Will and Holly in this book.

My Rating 4 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote “A thing is not defined by its limits, but by its potential to reach beyond them.”


Other People

Lucien Stone- kinda Mary’s creator
Holly- Mary’s bestie, and a genius
Will- Jack’s bestie, demon

No comments:

Post a Comment