Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Review: Crimson Frost






Author: Jennifer Estep
Format: eARC
Print Length: 384 pages
Publisher: Kensington
Published: December 24, 2012

For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

My Thoughts


I received an eARC through the publishers, this in no way influenced my review.

Crimson Frost literally held me hostage- I had to read it in one seating. You know those books that once you start it, you magically drift into the world that an author has created? A world filled with magic, romance and suspense. That is what happens when I opened Crimson Frost. I became submerged in the happenings of Mythos Academy. Some of the sweetest and most heartbreaking scenes I have ever read were in this book.

Loki has been released, and members of the Protectorate are at the Academy to arrest Gwen. All of this happens on her first true date with Logan. I mean seriously? Can’t the gal get five minutes to breathe before another bad thing happens to her? To make everything worse the person heading up the witch hunt to arrest, try and kill Gwen is none other than Logan’s daddy. Talk about some daddy issues popping up.

Logan’s daddy announces her arrest and the reasons for it in front of the student body. The same student body that have lost family members to Reapers. Needless to say, she was found guilty by her peers before the trial ever begins. So, Gwen’s life gets immensely harder as the pages turned.

Gwen is well Gwen. She keeps a level head, and worries more about her friends and Logan than herself. This is probably because she did not grow up in this world. She had no clue what danger she was in. But she does know that someone is behind these accusations- she just has to find out who.

Logan did know the danger she was in. The mighty Spartan was quick to show his support of Gwen. His loyalty to her was absolutely breathtaking. He was as protective as ever, but this time he let his emotions show for the entire world to see. I love how he stands up for her to their classmates, to his dad, to his friends. You can see through his actions that he truly cares for her.

I kinda missed Daphne and Carson in this book as they took a bit of a back seat to Oliver and Alexei’s storyline. They were still in the story, and still protective of Gwen. Her friends’ and Logan’s support will be her anchor and her strength to finding out the truth.

Oliver and Alexei met over the break and had formed a friendship. Alexei coming to Mythos Academy to be Gwen’s prison guard does not go over too well. The relationship is sweet and I wonder what Alexei will bring to the table when the real fighting begins. I still am weary to trust Alexei, the feeling that he is cloaked in mystery just will not go away.

Who is behind the evil happenings now? Is Logan’s dad really evil? I mean, he did arrest Gwen. He was insulting to Gwen, expressing a real disdain for her.

The ending was epic. OMG! Did that really just happen? I had to read it over three times for the reality of it to sink in. My heart was literally broken into a million pieces. The only thing that is keeping me hopeful is Gwen’s letter and her faith that they will pull through this.

My Rating 5 out of 5 stars


Favorite Quote "Oh, you know.  Another day, another night, another battle to the death with Reapers in the library," I joked.  "It's the Mythos Academy Special."


Other Characters

Daphne- Gwen’s best friend and a Valkyrie (a girl Viking). She is ubber strong and goes through something in this book that is not so great. Carson- Daphne’s boyfriend and a Celt barb warrior. How that actually works out we are not sure but hey he can fight when he needs to. 
Linus Quinn- Logan’s daddy and head of the Protectorate. 
Alexei- a Protectorate-in-training. He knows Logan and is starting a friendship with Oliver. 
Nickamedes- Logan’s uncle and head librarian. A lot of answers to questions concerning him in this book. 
Professor Metis- Athena’s champion, and Gwen’s mentor. Best friends with Gwen’s momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment